Learning in health and wellbeing ensures that children and young people develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future. Learning through health and wellbeing enables children and young people to:
- Make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and
- Experience challenge and enjoyment experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves
- Apply their mental, emotional, social and physical skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle
- Make a successful move to the next stage of education or work
- Establish a pattern of health and well-being which will be sustained into adult life, and which will help to promote the next generation of healthy children.
In order to promote this we take learning outdoors and take advantage of the beautiful area we live in. We are developing learning outdoors in literacy and numeracy. We now have the ‘Go Mountain Biking Scheme’ for Primary 6 and 7 that focuses not only on the physical well-being of our pupils but also on the social and emotional. As part of this course pupils attend a First Aid course and learn about basic navigation. For the first time this year, to promote team work, a bike building workshops was held as part of transition.