These describe the progression in learning and development of children and young people from age 3-18 years. In brief, these are:
- Early Level – pre-school through to end of Primary 1.
- First Level – through to the end of Primary 4.
- Second Level – through to the end of Primary 7.
- Third and Fourth Levels – Secondary 1 – 3.
- Senior Phase – Secondary 4 – 6.
As a very general guide, children are expected to be at Second Level, and beginning to learn and develop at Third Level, as they make the transition from Primary into Secondary Education. Children and young people progress through these levels at their own pace; and naturally some do so more quickly, or a little later than expected, dependant on individual circumstances and needs.